still i will sing


some singers just have voices that make you believe what they are singing - no matter what is about. it has nothing to do with how good they are or how complicated the songs are... irrelevant. it's something you can't capture unless it's there - manufacturing can't touch it, and never can be applied to produce it - no matter how many computer effects and adjustments you make. i love this element of music... the music not touched by industry - songs and meanings expressed perfectly through the human voice alone. whether its singing in the shower along to an artist you sound nothing like, or on the road alone in your car after a breakup, or in the stairwell of an old cathedral just because you like the ethereal sound and timbre of the echoes. when something just erupts from your heart that can't be held back. when the melodies released from a throat can somehow express the recognition of something eternal. when it can't be held back.

i've been singing a lot today. the only thing stopping me is when i get choked up. reality is coming through - breaking through these stupid circumstances, and once again the Lord is making a perfect song out of a broken thing.

melody line is fractured, chords in a perpetual state of dissonance, signature is inconsistent, key cannot be determined.

still i will sing.

- - -

hung up the telephone and there it is,
the deepest darkest misguiding fear -
that i'm going to miss my only chance,
that i didn't hold out long enough in this dance,
that i am incapable of not taking offense,
that i'm getting too good at goodbyes.

still. sing.
try.

Comments

  1. lauren, hey its Joy Finch. I met you when we lived in Memphis, you were kind enough to meet me for ice cream one day and talk about your music with me..i wanted you to know that we are in a hard time in our little family right now. We have 2 boys age 1 and 2 and little girl due in August. We will have 3children under three. That can wear on a woman. Anyway after prayer my hubs and i met my mom half way (we are 5 hours away from home) and the boys are at my moms for a break. So happy to be in the car alone and not listening to either fighting or kiddie tunes, i looked through my cds in the car and popped yours in. I wept for 2 hours as i sang and prayed and marveled at God's sovereignty of having given you those songs and how they were so my heart at that moment. The song "better" has meant SO much to me in MANY stages of life and the "run my fingers through my hair" was SO me..waiting on the SON/SUN to shine again. Those songs came from such a deep place in you and how amazing that He taught you such HUGE truths so early!!
    Great to find you!...oh and my blog has this same background hahah..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts