Back to School


Next month, I'll begin pursuing my masters degree. Typing those words feels bizarre, to say the least. Other words to describe how it feels to be typing those words at age 39:

Daunting. Invigorating. Terrifying. Shocking. Exciting.

I'm intending to get my Master of Arts in Christian Apologetics, if the Lord sustains me and allows me to accomplish the work. It will be no small task, but I am quite honestly overjoyed to be able to pursue this at this time of my life. As a homeschooling mother of two, I had assumed my collective education thus far was going to lay the foundation for theirs; but this desire has sprung up in me, to learn much and to learn more about the issues and convictions that have been grabbing at my heart and mind for the past few years... and it will not let me go.

So, I will become a student again, in January.

And while I am becoming a student again, I'll simultaneously still be teaching my daughters. I've taught two semesters of my Biblical worldview class at church, and will be taking a break from that in 2024 - to refill the well, so to speak. I still cannot believe how much can change in a two short years.

In October 2021, I prayed about something that has completely changed my life. During a church service, I felt a strong impression on my heart - I was pierced through with a longing to grow in understanding of God's Word. Even though it was merely a thought, it had a physical impact on me; I remember feeling like my heart was on fire, for just a few short moments. Sitting in that church service, right then, I began praying about these things - and as a result of the prayers during that service, I gave up reading books for one year. (News flash for those who don't already know: Books are my favorite tangible thing on the planet. For some, this wouldn't be a big deal; for me, even considering the idea felt cataclysmic.) During 2022, all I read and studied was the Bible, and apologetic-style books that directly related to  issues and questions found within God's Word. I gave up fiction and nonfiction, and everything in between. It was a pivotal year. 

In the Summer of 2022, I began having conversations with our church leadership about teaching a class that would encourage and equip other women to live out the biblical worldview in their homes. After receiving approval, I began my first semester of teaching in January 2023. As of this Wednesday, I will complete my second semester of teaching that same class. It has been an amazing year, and the finale will be bittersweet.

And now... the next step of obedience. For as big as it all feels, it is just simply the next step. 

If you're reading this, could you please pray for me in this?! Pray for my family, my husband, my daughters. Pray that I will be sensitive to the Holy Spirit's guidance and direction, and that I would discern what is right at every turn. Pray that before I even begin, God would give me the strength and resolve to finish. That the Lord would hold me steady and sustain me when my flesh fails and I lack the conviction to continue. 

I appreciate your prayers! Because after a brief 16 year hiatus... it's time to go back to school :)

Comments

Popular Posts