What Are We Embracing?

Embrace the mess. 

Despite the popularity of this idea lately - despite the books flying off the shelves which support it,
and the number of fellow Christians espousing its truths... I fear that Scripture tells us to do something entirely different.

- - -

First, let's define what is often meant by mess. The sum total of all we are, right? The good intentions,  the flaws, the sin, the things that have happened to us, the things we've set in motion, the repentance, the victories, the learning curve, and everything in between. The mess. As in...

Embrace the mess.

Second, let's think about what an embrace is. An embrace is a passionate gesture of affection - but that's the noun version. The verb version is much more disturbing in the context of the "Embrace the mess" phrase. To embrace literally means "to accept or support willingly or enthusiastically".

Hmm... So, I'm supposed to look at the mess - which includes both the good things AND the very bad things - and accept and support it as a cumulative product, willingly and enthusiastically. Right?

Scripture says no. In fact, the entire story of Scripture centers on the death and resurrection of Christ, who made a way forward for us and demands we leave the mess behind.

- - -

Despite the fact that God designed me in His image - and therefore, there is inherent value in my life and existence - Scripture is clear that sin ruined what God created good. In fact, when Christ died for me I was in sin. I was an enemy of God. (Rom. 5:8) But Christ died for me and paid the price for my sin. He paid my debt, and I owe Him my life. (Rom. 3:23-24) I have been adopted as a daughter of God - not by my own doing, but by Christ alone. (Gal. 3:26; 4:7-9)

Once I accepted Christ as my Savior, I now have the Holy Spirit actively working in my heart, mind, and soul. (1 Cor. 12:13) He produces fruit in me such as joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control. (Gal. 5:22-23) He does this so I'm equipped to accomplish God's work on the earth with the few days I have here - which is 100% directed to building up His kingdom here on earth as it is in Heaven. (Phil. 2:13)

Notice the total absence of embraced messes?

- - -

As a believer in Christ, I am not called to embrace my mess. I am called to take my mess and lay it at the foot of the Cross, and leave it there.

I am not called to glorify my mess, or profit from being transparent about it. I am not called to leverage my brokenness. Rather... God in His mercy has promised that He will redeem the things I can't redeem in His way, in His timing, for His glory.

I am not affirmed by Scripture to build community upon the foundations of my life's wreckage. I am called to love the lost, the sinner, the brokenhearted, and the thirsty... but I am also commanded to surround myself with people who sharpen me, hold me accountable, reprove and correct me when necessary, and encourage me to daily look more like Christ. (Prov. 13:20; 27:17)

I am called to take up a cross - not one of my choosing or contriving, but the one that Christ assigns me when I surrender my life to Him. (Matt. 16:24; Luke 9:23) I am called to take up a cross, so that I will in some miniscule part better understand what it meant to my Savior, to walk the road to Golgotha and die on a cross for the sins of the world. To understand that kind of love... the kind of love that empties itself daily, asking nothing in return. (Mark 8:34; Gal. 2:20; Phil. 2:8)

We are not called to embrace the mess. We are called to cling to Christ.


Comments

Popular Posts