Read, Pray, Write (Repeat)


Currently reading:

Ezra
Crazy Busy (by Kevin DeYoung)
The Songs of Jesus (by Tim Keller)
7 Women and the Secret of Their Greatness (by Eric Metaxas)

- - -

For the third year in a row, I've set a reading goal for myself. By the end of 2017, my goal is to have read at least 60 books, and hopefully more. With a move on the horizon, a baby girl to raise, a husband to hang out with, and all the other adventures this year is sure to hold, 60 books seems like a good place to start.

The local library clerks and I get along fabulously.

I read some in the mornings before baby girl wakes up. If the house is clean, I might get through a few more pages while she takes a nap. At night, my phone gets pushed aside at a certain time... and out come the books. There is also at least one book with me any time I leave the house.

Drive-thru? 2 more pages. Doctor's office? Four chapters and two levels of Candy Crush, thank you very much. (It's all about balance, right?)

Reading keeps me learning and processing. Thinking keeps me praying and growing. Writing keeps me accountable and is the expression that comes most naturally to me, for sharing what is going on beneath the surface.

It all works together, and has for many, many years.

Here's my only condition: I don't read anything else until after I've had some good, quality quiet time reading God's Word.

It's not a condition that's been placed on me, and it's certainly not one I set to impress anybody - in fact, there are days when I fail at it miserably. But it is a condition I've set to keep my heart from wandering, and I do daily strive to keep to it. Even books by Christian authors are not a substitute for spending time with the Scriptures, and saturating my mind with the truths of God and the desires of His heart.

That's the condition.

It seems simple, but it's sometimes really difficult to hold to. When I'm working through the Old Testament especially, a "modern" book seems easier and more entertaining. I'm selfish, and even a good thing like reading can tempt me away from God so easily. Hence... the safeguard. It's a practical way for me to guard my heart.

In college, I became convicted of that and prayerfully added in a layer of accountability for myself. It's held fast and has not only kept me holding God's Word (and the authority of it) above all other books, but has also helped me to better choose the other books I'm reading.

I don't favor one particular genre over another, nor do I think one is more worthwhile than another. I love fiction. I love character development, traveling to different places than I would ever go on my own, and empathizing with old emotions in new ways. I grow from reading fiction.

However, I also acknowledge that sometimes my soul needs more than fiction - so I try to vary my choices accordingly. Biographies, nonfiction cultural studies, Christian living books, historical documentaries, etc... yes, please. If it's well written and causes me to think about something good, excellent, worthy of praise, or lovely... yes, please.

- - -

The only reason I share these things is because I do believe during this season of my life that they are actually very worth sharing. I know many like me who are (or would be, given time) voracious readers, and long to better align or balance that love with their pursuit of God, their commitment to their families, and their desire to steward their time well. It's something I've spent much time thinking and praying about increasingly through the years, and I long to grow in this area.

Our God knows the power and beauty and richness of the written Word, more than any other. I am a firm believer that reading books has kept me abiding and clinging to the Vine, just as much (if not more) than any other activity I've engaged in the past 32 years.

For anybody who cares, relates, has good book recommendations, or wants to start a book club with me... there you go. Thoughts for a Saturday from one reader to another ;)


Comments

Popular Posts