Little Things


"Don't be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming from the Father of the heavenly lights, Who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:16-17

- - -

(written Saturday morning, July 19th)

The first sound I heard today was rain pitter-pattering against the bedroom window. The fact that it was 6:27 a.m. was no match for the joy in my heart, at that sound. I threw off the covers, and hastily reached for my glasses. Made my way into the closet to slip my feet into some socks, and snatched up a sweatshirt... grabbed my Bible, notebook, pen... turned off the alarm...

And stepped outside into my favorite world of all. That world of quiet rain, front porch, nowhere to be, early morning light - and some time alone with a God who has never been asleep.

Husband is away for the weekend, so it is just me today, living life here at home. I am so grateful for the rain... the way it gives me an excuse to stay cozy, write, open the windows, and hear all of nature splash.

There aren't words... This is joy.

- - -

Now it is 3:00, and the clouds have decided to press forward to some other place... The cool breeze competes with the sticky humidity, and I begin to examine the wilting water-logged petals of our flowers. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, there is a little bumble bee. Who knows where it has been hiding during the deluge... but out it comes, wasting no time, ready to carry on its task of pollinating the world.

- - -

I sat there and stared at it, buzzing around so steadily, knowing only its purpose, and doing nothing else but what it was made to do... And I found myself humbled. Praying to be like that bee. Strange, to get faith lessons from an insect? Perhaps. But am I really so surprised... Isn't it always the littlest things that draw me to Him the most uniquely?

The little things that remind me that there is something so detailed and precious about this life that I lead... that God put me, and all of us, on this planet to live somehow for His glory, doing whatever it is He has set inside of us and before us each day.

To wait patiently through the storms, and then brave the washed world once more. To keep on being faithful. In all of our falling and our rising, in rain-storms and directly after them... trying to be faithful to the tasks He has set before us that day, and being grateful for the little things. Like rain. The smell of wet flowers. The buzz of a bee.

And the way they proclaim His name.

- - -

Much credit is given to mother nature these days. Much credit is given to the medicinal values of the things she provides for us. The fruits, vegetables, roots, and herbs she produces.

And it is amazing. And we are all correct... it is fascinating, and it is a wonder. How it all works together. How it all seems to provide even the littlest things for us, for every need under the sun.

But let's not be deceived, dear brothers and sisters.
Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming from the Father of the heavenly lights,
Who does not change like shifting shadows.

Our thanks, our praise, our worship, our conversation, does not belong to mother nature. It belongs to Father God. The maker of the bumble bee. The roots, the herbs, the vegetables, the oils, the sunsets, the sea, the sun, and the rain.

The littlest things can distract, or they can draw.

Might we be a faithful people, who are humble enough to be drawn. Might we recognize the difference, between a praise of mother nature, and a praise to Father God.

Comments

Popular Posts