Joy to the World


Since December 1st, I have been choosing one Christmas carol each day, in order to dissect the lyrics and study it or think of it in its (often) Biblical context. The reason is simply because I feared that Christmas carols, like so many other doctrinally-saturated songs, would become cute, catchy, empty tunes that I attribute warm and fuzzy feelings to... and that those feelings would be the end of their effect on me.


Let me insert here, that I thoroughly enjoy when radio stations play Christmas music - so I am certainly not making a political issue of these things... they are merely thoughts. But regarding myself as an individual, as a Christian, and regarding my individual response to the stimulus bombarding me via radio waves, how often do I sing along to these Christmas carols just because they are easy, rather than singing because their Truth compels me? Apathy can hold so many joys captive in its grip.


Although some days have admittedly yielded more fruitful contemplations than others, here are a few of the excerpts that have captured my attention and in turn, have impacted my heart. These are each direct lines or stanzas from popular carols, but I have woven them together to reiterate their grander story.


Do you recognize which songs these fragments come from?


- - -


Silent night. Holy night.

All is calm, all is bright...

Round young virgin, mother and child

Holy infant, so tender and mild.


How silently, how silently the wondrous gift is given.

As God imparts to human hearts, the blessings of His heaven...


It came upon the midnight clear - that glorious song of old.

From angels bending near the earth, to touch their harps of gold.


The world in solemn stillness lay, to hear the angels sing.


"Peace on the earth, good will to men -

offered from heaven's all gracious King."


Raise, raise a song on high - The virgin sings her lullaby.

Joy, joy for Christ is born. The babe, the Son of Mary.


Sages, leave your contemplations... Brighter visions beam afar.

Light of the world, Hope of the soul, Oh Star of the East,

Oh Bethlehem star.


Bring Him incense, gold and myrrh. Come peasant and king, to honor Him.

The King of Kings salvation brings... let loving hearts enthrone him.


He rules the world with truth and grace,

And makes the nations prove, the glories of His righteousness

And the wonders of His love.


Raise, raise a song on high - The virgin sings her lullaby.

Joy, joy for Christ is born. The babe, the Son of Mary.


- - -


For with the woes of sin and strife, The world has suffered long.

Beneath the angel-strain have rolled, Two thousand years of wrong.

And man, at war with man, hears not the love song which they bring -

Oh hush the noise, ye men of strife, and hear the angels sing...


Still through the cloven skies they come, with peaceful wings unfurled

And still their heavy music floats, over all the weary world;

Above its sad and lowly plains, they bend on hovering wing -

And ever over its Babel sounds, the blessed angels sing...


Nails and spear shall pierce Him through,

The cross be borne for me, for you.

Hail, hail the Word made flesh... this babe, the son of Mary.


Joy to the world...

The Lord has come.

Let earth receive her King.

Let every heart prepare Him room.

And may Heaven and nature sing...


- - -


I love Thee, Lord Jesus - look down from the sky.

And stay by my side, 'til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay,

Close by me forever, and love me I pray.


Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts