believe. think. act.


For the past two weeks, in addition to my daily sojourn through the book of Romans, I've been slowly making my way through 4 books:

- The Hole in Our Gospel, by Richard Stearns (Pres. of World Vision)
- A Circle of Quiet, by Madeleine L'Engle
- The Abolition of Man, by C.S. Lewis
- Aesop's Fables

My brain is on literary overload, which is honestly just the way I prefer it. Sometime during college, I got into the habit of reading more than one book at a time. I've heard statistically that apparently this means something bad - that as a society, such efforts to constantly multi-task keep us from being able to focus, or enjoy the process of simplistic and undistracted pursuit... but really? I just like reading a lot. Especially when the books are on issues and topics that change people's lives, daily... Issues that are changing my life, daily. (Granted - Aesop's Fables are not exactly life changing, but they do make me smirk with amusement.)

- - -

So far, here are a few of the main things the above books are inspiring me to think on and consider:

Does the Gospel that I portray to others on a daily basis have a hole in it? I live my life, take my steps, make my decisions, take comfort and find joy in its Truth... I know that. It's been that way since I was 14. But those things can often remain very abstract, as far as the rest of the world is concerned. I'm finding that it's not just about "being a light" - where all I need to worry about is if I am constantly in a state of being right with God. Sometimes it actually really is about where the light is shining, and for how long, and at what strength, and for what purpose, and with what results. A dark street can be lit up for a moment as a car drives by and shines its light on it, but as soon as the car passes by the street is once again in darkness. There has to be more to it than that. It's sometimes about pulling over to the side of the road. It's sometimes about planting a lamp post in a dark neighborhood.

- - -

And then there are the things that Christ said Himself, in His Word...

Christ said that if we fed the hungry, nurtured the sick back to health, gave clothing to the unclothed, and even sacrificed our safety in order to uphold justice, that it was as if we were doing those things for Him. So I'm forced to consider this:

I may often send up my prayers - but when was the last time I gave up my bread? My cash? My clothes? How often do I lay my life aside, in an act of love? How often do I engage in acts of mercy? When was the last time I got my hands truly dirty?

- - -

"He has told you what is good; And what does the Lord require of You - but to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God?"
(Micah 6:8)

" 'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth - whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' " (Matthew 25: 35-40)

"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice, and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter - when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and flood?... If you do away with the yoke of the oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, and if you spend yourselves on behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. The Lord will guide you always..." (Isaiah 58: 6-11)

- - -

It's a lot to think about. It's a lot to put into action. It's imperative that I do both, with no exceptions... and I'm only up to Chapter 5, and that's only from one book. :) More to come!

Comments

Popular Posts