Mommy Musings.

I'm sitting at a small table in a local coffeeshop, drinking the same drink I always get here: an iced mocha, one of the best in town. I'm by myself. It's nice for the moment, but I'll be ready to be back home in a little while.

This time away is nothing fancy... I have on mascara, but otherwise my face is simple. My laptop is here, along with a couple books and pens - the few articles that help me keep parts of my heart and our life organized. These times away from the little hands and little needs are a gift, and I'm grateful for them.

But my soul doesn't need them.

If I spend these times well, I can certainly benefit from them. They're a pleasure, meant to be enjoyed. They're a gift, and I appreciate them greatly. And yet...

Against a culture that increasingly makes everything about me me me, the battle rages.

Our culture would have me believe that being a mother would entitle me to some time away now and then. It's not wrong to take care of myself, after all... I should take time to do the things I enjoy... I should make sure not to "lose" myself in between the dishes, diapers, and discipline.

As if devoting myself to a life of serving others in love wasn't exactly what Christ has bid me to come and do.

Mommies... when did we become more preoccupied with not losing ourselves than we are with our children finding Christ?

- - -

The Word beckons me to believe and behave differently than our culture does...

The Word tells me to pour out my life, as Christ did.
To prefer others over myself, as He did.
To serve, as He did.
To die to myself, as He did.

To trust God for my needs. My sleep. My rest. To go the extra mile, instead of always frenetically trying to reserve margin for my hobbies. To offer the other cheek. To love them as He first loved me... unconditionally, unfailingly, always.

This is an entirely different form of life and rest to be pursued. A different set of rights for which to fight and die. Love is all or nothing at all. Love for God, love for spouse, love for children, love for neighbor... There is no break from these things. There is no break from this calling.

When did we begin believing there was supposed to be?

In addition, the Word teaches that there is an endless, impossible list of holy things that God has called mothers to do in His strength. Like teaching our sons and daughters Scripture and doctrine. (2 Timothy 3:15) Like readying them as a warrior readies arrows for battle. (Psalm 127:4) Like making sure our own life exemplifies the fruit of the Holy Spirit. (Titus 2:5) Like disciplining our children steadily, with wisdom and love. (Proverbs 1:8-9; 22:15)

And if a night out happens in the midst of pursuing that calling, wonderful. If a cup of coffee is available and it refreshes us, thank God for coffee! If a pedicure makes us smile and feel happy, praise the Lord for loving us so intimately and lavishly.

But may our souls be found complete in the joy of Christ alone. As Christian mothers, we must be especially careful with how we use the word need. We don't need coffee. We don't need wine. We don't need girls' nights out, date nights out, spa days, manicures, or staycations.

All of those things are blessings. All of those things are wonderful!

But may our souls be found complete in the joy of Christ alone... and may our children know where their mommies find their rest.

Comments

Popular Posts