Rest (A Time for Everything)

Very soon, I'll be holding a baby in my arms. That moment is coming fast, and love is taking over.

We've begun picking out colors for the nursery, and I've been learning more about diapers than I ever thought possible. Getting in and out of the car is increasingly hilarious. Skinny jeans are as archaic a thought as the floppy disk. My husband routinely talks to my stomach, fellow Target shoppers now share their thoughts with me on parenthood, and Taco Bell is suddenly a spiritual stronghold.

The emotions everyone explained no longer need an explanation. I feel vulnerably empty and richly full, worn out and energized, emotional yet calm... I'm a muddled, smiling, waddling paradox - and having quite a lot of fun with it.

I'm also being humbled by it. My appreciation for my own mother has grown, and for all the other mothers I know. This impression will certainly only keep growing, so all I can do is stop and thank the Lord - for His patience with me, as I learn and grow in understanding about this life He's called me to lead.

There's an ever-increasing awareness of the ticking clock. She'll be here soon, she'll be here soon, she'll be here soon. 

But in the meantime...

- - -

The word that has been echoing more in my heart lately than any other is REST. This is an incredible contrast from the majority of last year.

Last year, I learned a lot about discipline. It was a year of focus and of trying new things, and much of my energy and time was dedicated to figuring out how to strategically build new habits or discontinue old ones. I also learned about grief. It was a year of praying, searching, and crying out to God. There wasn't an ample amount of time to rest, other than abiding in that moment-by-moment rest offered to us by Christ. He sustained.

The work that began last year is never done, but I'm grateful for a God who knows our capacities and our pace better than we know it ourselves... who designed seasons to not only begin, but also to end. I'm grateful for this brief season of rest, before our little girl arrives. A time to pause and think about all the things God has done, and all the ways He has been faithful to us. A time to bask in the immeasurable joy of it all.

For there is an appointed time for everything.

For birth and death. For planting and uprooting.
For killing and healing, tearing down and building up.
For weeping and laughing, mourning and dancing.
For throwing stones and gathering them,
For embracing and shunning the embrace.

For searching, and for giving up as lost.
For keeping, and throwing away.
For tearing apart and sewing together,
for being silent and speaking...
For loving and hating, for war and peace.

(Ecclesiastes 3)

- - -

Rest.

For right now, this means putting my feet up when I have opportunity to do so. It means that when my sweet husband asks me if he can do anything for me, I actually take a moment to think about it before answering.

It means enjoying my early bedtimes, and my extra pockets of time for reading and writing. It means allowing myself to daydream and look at tiny baby things when I run errands.

It means not taking myself so seriously, when I'm standing in front of the mirror each morning. Giving myself some extra grace, when trying on maternity clothes in the dressing room. Allowing myself to occasionally wear flip-flops to work, if needed.

It means being teachable, and engaging in conversation with people who have done this before. It means humbly admitting the things I don't know or I'm afraid about, but also admitting that I'm ready to learn and excited to try.

It means saturating my mind with Scripture, at all times. It means allowing myself to be loved on by people I trust and love, and who long to bless our family during this season. It means treasuring it all.

For there is an appointed time for everything...

A time for enjoying my husband, and our remaining days as a family of two - and a time for preparing to be a family of three. A time for eating well during the day, and having an ice cream sandwich at night. A time for researching things, and a time for ceasing to research any more.

A time for dresses and stretchy pants. A time for crying during commercials. A time for being giddy, and a time for being overwhelmed. A time for everything.

For this appointed time, for this precious season... I am grateful.



Comments

Popular Posts