30

This past Tuesday, I entered a new personal decade. Gone are my twenties, and into my thirties I have embarked.

Embark... such a word. It suits. I always feel like such a pioneer on birthdays... which is ironic, because they are just one more day on a calendar, the same as every other passing day on a calendar... and it makes me wonder why I don't feel like more of a pioneer every other day.

But nonetheless - "30" is one of those birthdays about which people make a big deal. It's our American version of a bar-mitzvah or something... a coming of age. Much more than turning 21, this coming of age at 30 seems to mean (or seems to hope) that something grand has finally settled into place in us, which moments before had not yet settled.

At least, this is how it felt to me the past few years, as I slowly approached this age... 30.

And now, I'm here. Just like that. And I have to say... so far, I'm loving it. If this is supposed to be a grand personal milestone, than I guess the thing that makes it such is my perspective about it all... which is very favorable, grateful, excited, and aware of the Lord at work.

From the time I woke up, to the time I fell asleep, my 30th birthday was filled with love from the people in my life. My co-workers made me feel special and appreciated, my family across the U.S. made me feel loved and missed, and my husband made me feel like a queen, a rock-star, a super-model... a wife who is cherished and safe. It was a day filled with excellent food, blustery weather, encouraging words, and a deep-seated peace. After being chauffeured back and forth from work that day by Tim, followed by a beautiful dinner at 'Husk', I came home to a house decorated entirely with streamers...

It was a perfect day.




If there is anything to this coming of age idea, maybe it can simply be this... that I find myself newly grateful for this life that I lead. For the chance I have been given, to arrive at this age with a husband that I love, a job I find purpose in, and a home that is warm and safe. For the blessings of parents that support me, a growing community of friends, steadily improving health... and just enough unanswered prayers in my heart to keep me dependent, longing for, waiting on, and clinging to my Savior.

A birthday never means that there are no ends still needing tying, or that there are no griefs or questions lacking closure. But they do mean to me that for one more year, I have seen the Lord's faithfulness. That He is so, so, heart-achingly good... and continues to be, and always will.

And because of that, I can honestly say...

I am thrilled to be 30 :)



Comments

  1. I love this one... my favorite part? That Tim shuttled you to and from work. I love that! Who wants to drive on their birthday!? Adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts