Oh, Southern Decembers... (A Rant)


I am a lover of cold. A lover of warm blankets and hot chocolate. If you are one of my true friends, you may have seen me dance for the chance of snow. I have an impressive collection of cute winter coats, scarves, and mittens. Once December arrives, I find myself daydreaming of fireplaces, baking cookies, and singing christmas carols. I amend my driving route so I can stop in a neighborhood and look at Christmas lights. I like it when my nose is cold, my cheeks are red, my eyes are bright, and the world around me is frosted and quiet.

So, please. Allow me to describe for you, the tragedy that is my present circumstance.

The high tomorrow in Nashville is supposed to be 72 degrees. Rain is in the forecast, with a "chance" of freezing rain and snow this weekend. I wore flats today, with no socks, and my feet didn't get cold. When I stepped outside to get our mail this evening, I noticed that our driveway was steaming like the surface of a cold pond mid-morning, when the sun has made the dew start to smolder. The climate in our neighborhood is like a clammy, humid warm breath, perpetually on the back of your neck.

It's entirely unacceptable.

But despite all of these climatic elements raging hard against my holiday mood, I am trudging forward bravely to partake of and enjoy the comforts and joys of my favorite season. The fireplace is lit in my house. The Christmas trees (plural) are lit up proudly, mocking the mugginess and reminding it who is really in charge, despite the temperature. There are fun holiday socks on my feet, even though I am wearing shorts around the house. It is completely inefficient, in regards to energy and electricity... but how else can I sleep at night, except to know that I have fought determinedly and with strength of will, the humidity and sogginess that hovers as a sensory Scrooge on the surface of my skin...?

No... I shall not allow my spirits to be dampened by the damp. I shall listen to my Christmas music, undeterred. My holiday playlists shall march on, repeating themselves without end, through every speaker in my house and automobile. No holiday socks will wait listlessly in the bottom of a drawer, longing to make their annual debut... I shall not let them down. Holiday decorations shall be extricated from the backs of closets, and placed proudly on surfaces for all the warm world to see.

No... I must press on. The snow dances must continue... the daydreams, may they ever be richer and cozier and brighter than ever before. Oh, Southern Decembers! Your fickle attempts to befuddle me shall not overcome my Christmas cheer... you shall not prevail. 

- - -

This was a rant, to get me warmed up for some more serious holiday writing. More to come.

Thanks for reading ;)


Comments

  1. Haha... this delightful post made me smile. Whereas I, a lover of heat and sunshine (and I really won't even whine too much over humidity), rejoiced when I saw on my weather forecast that I was holding on to a bit of Southern seventy-eight tomorrow!

    We are so very much alike -- I love books and cosy home days, and even fireplaces and hot chocolate. But I do love warm weather so. In this I differ.

    But take heart. If I know anything about the Southern seasons, I know you dear cold-lovers will have comfort in January and February and March and April...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even our fall and winter months have to share with summer. Just when you think the chilly nights are here for good, the down comforter goes to the foot of the bed, being replaced by a lighter blanket…so we won't sweat during the night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts