The Sounding Joy


There is a club-glass of cranberry juice and ginger ale in front of me on the table. A moment ago, a lady at the food-bar wished me a Merry Christmas… and I love that she went for it, instead of wishing me 'Happy Holidays'. It is a small step of bravery, but one to be admired these days. I wished her a Merry Christmas back, and realized how full my heart felt in doing so.

We are sitting in the Atlanta airport, waiting for our next plane. Our early morning began in Memphis, with the family I grew up with -  and it will complete in Virginia, with the family my husband grew up with. We affectionately call our holiday travels "Christmas Part 1" and "Christmas Part 2"… and we say it in the same tone that one would repeat the sounding joy. The holidays to us are a perpetuated, conscious state of being blessed. And I am grateful.

- - -

When I was growing up, I don't remember ever imagining what it would be like to have two separate families in two separate cities. I don't recall ever trying to comprehend what such a scenario might impact, or if I had any concerns or thoughts on the matter. Now that this scenario is our life, I appreciate our families - especially our parents - more than perhaps I have ever appreciated them before. Their flexibility and willingness to move forward with us, amending traditions and timelines… it means much more than anything that could ever fit inside of a box.

As an adult, I've become aware of what holiday travel means to many others this time of year. I've noted the determination and even the struggles to keep the family unit together, and to ease into new traditions as it morphs and grows. Change impacts us all. Babies are born, loved ones go home to be with their Savior, things that once were are no more, and new things that one could ever dream of have come to pass. The family survives, transforms, sometimes breaking, but often binding closer than ever before.

And the Lord is sovereign over all. I have become aware of this as well.

My family celebrated Christmas three days early this year, so that all of us could be together. My mom and dad, my husband and me, my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew, my aunt and uncle, and of course even Ellie and Mocha were there to represent the canine branch of our family-tree.

It was the best that life gets, this side of Heaven.

And it is not over. Today, we start all over again with Christmas Part 2… we will be with Tim's parents, brother and family (and the 6 pups that represent HIS family's canine branch of the tree) for the next four days. We will sit in front of the fire in comfy clothes, drinking our egg nog - me doing some writing, while the brothers watch football on TV. There is much to look forward to.

I realize that we are blessed, and I cannot join any other reality. (I give credit to Jesus Christ for these blessings.) But I also cannot ignore the reality of some around me, who do not or cannot feel or enjoy these blessings of family as clearly - especially this time of year. I know that for some, the holidays are a toil. A weariness settles in places long forgotten, and the carol of the bells is a melancholy chorus for those who find themselves alone. My heart aches for the blessings I cannot seem to make stretch far enough to cover all the needs and the aching around me.

But I know that my Savior is sovereign over all, and that the reach of His love has no limits or bounds.   There is no comprehending how deep, how long, how wide is His love for us. I know that He came as flesh, leaving His throne to join us as the humblest of babies - even still at that moment holding the world within His heart and His hands. I know that He came to bring us Himself… which is more than any of us could ever deserve.

He came for all of us. He came for each of us. This is the blessing that leaves my heart full tonight.

And this is why for me, it will always be 'Merry Christmas' instead of Happy Holidays. Because my Christ came to this earth, and all was calm. All was made well. It was the gift that can never be matched or outdone, and my heart cannot help but repeat the sounding joy. In His name, and because of the blessings He has given to each and every one of us…

Wishing you all, a Merry Christmas.

Lauren

Comments

Popular Posts