Where Grief and Joy Meet

Where grief and joy do coincide,
the war, it rages deep.
Along the line, along this darkened
fissure where they meet.

My heart, it fills and overflows,
with both, my days are fed.
Where shadows meet with light,
Upon that line, I make my bed.

For one cannot say "Leave me!"
any louder than the other,
And so they wrestle, fighting wild,
until met by Another.

He comes, and takes both in His hands,
and sets them in their place.
He tells my heart, "Now, walk in peace!"
And bids me, lift my face.

When grief and joy do coexist,
my body feels their power.
I feel them pass, so long and slow,
upon each living hour.

One inspires, the other destroys,
Grief depletes, but joy restores -
I run and kneel, I live and die,
On that beautiful, muddy shore.

For one cannot say "Stop! Be still!"
any louder than the other.
And so they rage upon my shores,
until calmed my Another.

He tells the storm, "Be still! Be gone!"
And my heart, it rests in peace.
And the calm of Him, it overcomes,
the waves that would not cease.

Where grief and joy do coincide,
the war, it rages deep.
But there is One whose love makes room...
For both to dwell, and speak.

And before the grief  can overtake,
He'll hold up both His hands -
He'll speak to the storm,
Call the darkness by name,
And they'll follow His commands.

His light, it will throw the darkness back,
His hope, it will calm the sea.
His joy, it will overcome the grief I feel...
And reclaim its place in me.

When grief and joy do coexist,
I'll fear not, that raging war.
But let me rest fully, and let me dance free
On that beautiful, muddy shore.

- - -

This poem is an effort to process through the highs, the joys of carrying a baby - while grieving through the lows, and loss of someone dear. In the balance of the two, it's difficult to find words. I find that poetry often helps me process these things... I've said it before, that God most often meets with me at the tip of a pen. It is a sweet experience, and one I'm honored to (sometimes) share.


Comments

Popular Posts