Gizmo


yesterday, for the very first time in my life, i had to go through the emotional gauntlet that is saying goodbye to a family pet... admittedly, my heart is grieving even more than i imagined it would in such a capacity - it isn't the loss of a pet that i feel, but the loss of a buddy... a friend.

i know that this type of loss is just one type or facet of grief - and arguably, it is a much lesser degree than many i will face throughout my life... but it is distinctly and permeably grief, nonetheless. i'm still having to trust a sovereign God even now, in a brand new way that has never before been known to me.

so... this blog is just somewhat of a closing breath, a bit of closure perhaps on the life of our precious puppy, Gizmo. my intention is not to align myself with the sentimentalists, but to simply acknowledge this loss of a dear, living thing... a real, breathing creation that brought our family joy while he was on this earth. so... for all the times that he placed his paws on my arm while i cried, and for all the secrets that he kept so quiet all those years, and for all the nights that he guarded the foot of my bed... i'm grateful to God, for even those small evidences of joy and love and grace, in the form of a 20 pound furball that i loved very dearly...


night, sweet face.

Comments

  1. After 18 years, I finally had to say goodbye to my sweet Kitty. I totally understand your loss. I still get weepy when I have a certain memory of her, or when I first realized I would have Christmas without her (2009 was the first year for that), or when I think about how I have no pets at all. This is the first time in my 30 years of living that I can remember having no animals walking around the house. It is truly like losing a buddy, as you said. Hang in there. And be as sentimental as you want. No other emotion will do =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looked like a sweet little puppy. so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candace - We found out about a month ago that he had cancer :( We had to put him down last Thursday. He lived a long, full life though... 13 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that. I know it must have been hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts